Tuesday 25 May 2010

Rainy day at work.

It's raining outside today and here I sit at work. At the moment the phone is quiet but I am sure I will get more calls from students and parents who have questions about the summer holiday jobs. Our politicians claim all the students leaving 9th and 10th grade who apply will get a job for the summer. And of course I would gladly give a job to each of them too but unfortunately we do not have enough jobs so plenty of kids are still without. This of course means we do get a lot of calls from people wanting an explanation why and some are angry while others are just very disappointed. I understand them and I would feel the same way if it was my kid not having something meaningful to do during the holidays.
My mantra for today is therefore to remember to not take it personally and that I can only do my very best to accommodate for everyone's needs with the resources we have.
I have already told one upset father today to contact the politician responsible for the statement as I feel they need to take responsibility for what they are saying to our media that these people listen to. They have it way too easy making empty promises that other people then have to try and sort out.

It's also raining outside my windows today so I didn't want to ride my bike to work as it is not fun sitting at work in wet clothes and since I no longer have my own office but is sharing with 3 other people I have nowhere to change. I'm glad there is a bus I can take and it's quite interesting to sit on it and study the other passengers and thinking where they might be heading. Sometimes there is someone I know also riding the bus so I get to have a conversation and at other times we might just give each other a friendly nod as we sit too far from each other to be able to chat.

I had planned on mowing my lawn after work today but I suppose I will have to delay that for another day when the sun is shining and instead I'm sure I can always find something to do inside. I have a wardrobe to empty out and move into my bathroom to put all my towels in. I have room for it in there now since I got rid of my broken washing machine. And I have blinds to put up in my bedroom window. Always so many things to do and never enough time. Days like today when I have a lot of spare time I almost wish I was working from home so I could use the time more efficiently.

It's a good feeling to let my mind wander away from work for a while when I have the time. It relaxes me and I immediately feel much better and it's not quite so rainy inside anymore. I'm looking at the sky to see signs if it intends to stop raining out there too soon but although I think it looks a bit brighter the clouds are still pretty heavy and covering the entire field of vision. I can even hear the rain landing on the windows.

2 comments:

  1. Lena, this was a comforting post for me for some reason. I guess I was happy to take the bus ride with you and sit alongside side you chatting and catching up with each other a bit. Thank you..:-)

    Your politicians sound like ours here in the USA ... I think they all speak with forked tongue ... and yes, they need to be held accountable!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and I wanted to let you know I've posted a follow-up creation on Bloggin' by abitosunshine!

    http://www.blogger.com/profile/09908618898893059059

    Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!
    Ruthi
    http://ruthireads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, I really enjoyed this post, even if I'm catching up a bit late. As for politicians, well, I don't trust any of them and yours sounds a lot like the ones we have here.

    Thanks for posting this, Sweetie, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete